Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mind over Matter





Wow, there’s nothing to compare to the experience of hearing the words “you have cancer”. It’s hard to absorb.  Your brain screams, “But I thought I was healthy. I’m too young for this. I feel fine.  How can this be true?” It’s hard to hear the reassuring words about advances in treatments.  Your life is instantly divided into two segments, B.C. (before cancer), and A.D. (after diagnosis).

For me, the sense that my life was no longer under my own control was a huge issue.  Now, anyone who’s ever raised children has learned that thinking you actually have control over your own life is nothing but an illusion.  But still, I’m pretty fond of that illusion. This definitely put that sense of security, false though it may be, in jeopardy. That feeling of a lack of control leads to fear and a clear sense that the situation is overwhelming.  The whirlwind of tests and doctor’s appointments does not help the situation feel more manageable.

Fortunately, I have a lot of positive things going for me that have really helped bring things back to a more manageable state, allowing me to move forward in a positive and very productive way. The biggest thing has to be the support of my loving partner in life, Al.  He knows me well and knows that my math/science nerd brain needs lots of data to make sense of the world. He did tons of internet searching to find the latest treatment options for my particular type of breast cancer and gave me only the data that I needed to make decisions.  I found that if I looked online myself, I would zero in on the negatives. Having a partner do the searching was a huge win.  He is my coach, my supporter, my friend and counselor… I could go on and on.  We settled for the obvious choice in the Houston area, the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Much of my 30+ years in the computer industry was focused on technical crisis management for large enterprise customer.  I knew that getting the customer to participate in the problem resolution gave the customer back the sense of control they needed in times of crisis and helped move things along in a positive direction.  Here too, Al’s research and the help of others paid off as we began to explore mind/body techniques to help in this fight. 

Our bodies have a tremendous capacity for self-healing.  Now that does not mean that conventional western medicine is bad, but in the case of cancer, you need all the help you can get.  I personally found some of the self -healing material by Andrew Weil to be very helpful, but there are lots of others and I’m reading books from a variety of sources. The power of prayers, meditation, guided imagery and other similar mind/body techniques have well documented success in assisting in managing symptoms and promoting healing. 

For me, these things are working.  I have a positive attitude and I am completely confident of a cure at the end of this road.  I feel empowered to promote my own healing and work with the chemotherapy, surgery, radiation, etc. to kick this issue to the curb.  In my reading I ran across a thought that stuck with me.   Basically the philosophy is that disease is not good or bad, disease is a message from your body that something needs to change.  Well, message received.   I’m not a powerless victim of cancer.  I’m a person who has received a message.  I understand the message and I’m taking action. 

I want to write about what I’m learning as I focus on removing stress from my life, making changes in diet/exercise, and learning to cope with treatment side effects.  I also plan to share information on the tremendous research being done right now to find and cure cancer at stages so early that there is little or no effect on healthy cells in the body.

For me mind over matter is the key.  The great minds of cancer researchers, the great minds of my friends and family as they help me through this rough patch of life, and the great power of my own mind to create changes in my life that will ensure success.  So my first equation for life is:


Mind
               > cancer
Matter


A note to my family and friends: Feel free to remind me of this as my hair falls out! I’m sounding pretty brave here, but rocking the hairless Chihuahua look is going to be a bummer.


Al has started a campaign to raise money in support of an early cancer detection research project called Nanomagnetic Relaxometry. Read more about this project on our Texas Thru My Back Door blog or click the button below
  

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is 9 years cancer-free, and her attitude was very much like yours, Suzanne. I'm convinced it made all the difference in the world. We're in your cheering section!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Getting support from others is a big part of what keeps me going!

      Delete