Friday, December 18, 2015

Stick a Fork in Me -- I’m Done!



I’m so excited right now because I finished the last of my cancer treatments this week.  Now, I can begin the next chapter in my life.  It’s been quite a while since I’ve written anything.  It got to the point where I had difficulty thinking and lacked the energy to write.  But that phase is behind me now, never to return again.


Wow, I learned a lot through this experience.  I met a lot of very nice people, many of whom were at the hospital seeking treatment far away from their home and family.  I learned a lot about myself and the strong bond between physical wellbeing and mental attitude. But the biggest lesson of all, I think, was the strength that can come from counting your blessings and how far I had to dig to see those blessings at certain times.  Fortunately I have wonderful friends and family who helped to point those blessings out when I needed it most.

My surgeons were skilled, efficient, and kinder than I expected. That being said, my radiology team was definitely my favorite.  I saw them every day for 6 weeks, so naturally there’s a bit more of a bond there, but it was more than that.  This team of folks made it their mission to be happy and upbeat every single day.  No matter the circumstances, I was always greeted with a smile and positive energy was flowing generously from each and every person I encountered.  After months of feeling rotten physically, being injected with a few minutes of happy attitude every day for 6 weeks did as much to heal me as the radiation has done.

So picture me doing the Snoopy dance!  I’m ready to create a new life with the lessons I’ve learned and the extra time I’ve been given.



No comments:

Post a Comment