Monday, July 20, 2015

The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank




This is the title of one of my favorite books by the beloved American humorist, Erma Bombeck. It’s a true statement that describes how I look at my life right now.  I’m not going to say that cancer treatment isn’t all bad.  Let’s face it, it’s a septic tank and it is all bad.  BUT that doesn’t mean my life is all bad.  In fact, my life is very good and this experience, in the long run, is making it better!

Facing a serious illness realigned my priorities almost instantly.  No months of contemplation or shelves of Steven Covey books are needed to break free from the tyranny of the urgent and get the important things to the top of my list.  Those dishes in the sink can stack up like the leaning Tower of Pisa. It’s time to play with my grandbaby and have some fun. That note to my friend I’ve been meaning to write is done now, not put off to later when I think I might find the time.

Because I tend to lose weight when I’m stressed, I am literally under doctor’s orders to get back into my fat pants. How many times in your life do you think that will ever happen!  I’m Agent 007 with a license to eat. Although a diet of chocolate, donuts and TexMex food might spring to mind, I find that I suddenly possess the will power to resist bad foods in favor of healthy choices.  I can even skip those chips at the Mexican restaurant. (Those of you who know me well, understand how big my corn chip weakness is and will be impressed by this statement.)  At the same time, the reminder that life is short keeps me from feeling guilty if I decide to splurge a little here and there.  It’s the best of both worlds!

I’m learning all kinds of new things.  I’m studying new technologies like the use of nanotechnology in cancer treatment or the use of guided imagery and meditation in accelerating healing.  I’m learning new recipes.  I’m even teaching myself how to play the piano in an effort to combat “chemo brain”.


I’ve always been strongly driven to prioritize work, chores, and the needs of others over my own needs.  I literally worked to ensure that I would in no way be a burden or disruption to other people.  But in this new A.D. (after diagnosis) life, I must put my own needs higher on the priority list (like on the top!).  I’m finding that this new alignment of priorities brings a sense of freedom and comfort.

I feel free to purge negative people from my to-do list. Let’s face it, some people are like Slinkys, the only way they could bring a smile to your face is if you imagine pushing them down the stairs.  I am free to increase my awareness of my own physical and emotional needs and to take a break whenever I want.  If that break happens to be in the middle of doing the laundry and the clothes are all wrinkled, so be it.  It’s so hot outside they will probably steam out straight before the A/C in the car kicks in anyway. A strong focus on the here and now, while letting go of worrying about the future, brings me a sense of peace.

Best of all, I’m receiving lots of love and support from family and friends as well as meeting new people who share some common experiences. The things I’m learning about stress reduction, prioritizing happiness and healthier living are going to serve me well for decades to come and will make my A.D. life the best part of my life’s journey.   Yes, the grass on my life’s path is definitely greener!



Al has started a campaign to raise money in support of an early cancer detection research project called Nanomagnetic Relaxometry. Read more about this project on our Texas Thru My Back Door blog or click the button below

No comments:

Post a Comment